US sends more troops amid tanker tension with Iran
Last Updated on 1 year by sfundcom
The US military will send an extra 1,000 troops to the Middle East as tensions with Iran.
Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said the arrangement was in light of what he depicted as “antagonistic conduct” by Iranian powers.
The US Navy likewise shared new pictures it says interface Iran to assaults a week ago on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman.
Washington has blamed Iran for blowing openings in the vessels with mines. Iran has denied the claims.
Strains were further fuelled on Monday when Iran said its store of low-enhanced uranium would one week from now surpass levels set under the 2015 atomic understanding.
It as of late ventured up generation in light of the US fixing sanctions. The 2015 arrangement, from which the US has pulled back, checked Iran’s atomic program in return for the lifting of assents.
Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani said his nation did not try to take up arms with any country and had stayed “faithful” to its universal commitments.
For what reason would Iran assault tankers?
Iran, the US and the Gulf: What now?
In the interim, on Monday night three rockets hit an army installation lodging US troops north of Baghdad, the Iraqi military said. The US said it was “backhanded flame” and did not cause wounds.
No gathering has conceded duty regarding the assault, however it pursues admonitions by US authorities of an expanded risk to US interests in Iraq by Iran-supported state armies.
What do we know about the extra troops?
The US troop deployment to the Middle East was announced by Mr Shanahan late on Monday.
In his statement, he said the “United States does not seek conflict with Iran” but the action was taken to “ensure the safety and welfare of our military personnel working throughout the region to protect our national interests”.
He said the military would continue to monitor the situation and make adjustments to troop levels accordingly.
Monday’s troop increase announcement comes on top of 1,500 extra announced by President Donald Trump last month.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Sunday that the US did not want war with Iran, but was nevertheless “considering a full range of options”.